Monday, October 11

Columbus Day

Which we get off. Not that exciting though, because that means Monday classes on Tuesday which is a day I normally have off.

I do get to go to the Supreme Court tomorrow, which is all kinds of awesome but is also tinged with a bit of "only me." When I signed up for the ticket, the school had a column on the sheet where you indicated availability. The Supreme Court hears cases Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings with an additional case in the afternoon if it's needed. I could do Monday and Wednesday mornings and Tuesday all day since I didn't have classes at those times. Monday and Wednesday afternoon, though, I do have a class.

On the day of sign-ups, I went and stood in line, so excited that my place in line combined with my 3L status would virtually guarantee me a place. I looked at the sheet and I was number 22 to sign up, and even then there were 1Ls ahead of me that I knew I would get a ticket before. I very carefully read the sheet and marked that I could do Monday and Wednesday mornings, all day Tuesday, and Monday and Wednesday afternoons as a last resort. I was willing to skip class if necessary, but was earnestly trying to avoid it.

Fast forward to a week later and I get an email from Student Life. I had a ticket! A ticket on a Tuesday for a case that it turns out is actually pretty exciting. I quickly opened my google calendar to add it, barely containing my urge to squee. And then I saw it. Saw what they had done. The school, the school that I attend, the school that puts out the academic calendar that I follow, had given me a ticket for a Tuesday afternoon the Tuesday after Columbus Day. The Tuesday we follow a Monday schedule. Which means I stood in line and very clearly asked for a Tuesday so as not to skip class for them to give me a ticket on an administrative Monday.

My professor was pretty cool about it when I emailed her saying I wouldn't be in class for this reason, but she did also say I could tell the class how it went. Which means I basically have to give my Natural Resources class a lecture on a completely unrelated subject. I guess I had better pay attention beyond my planned "don't freak out, don't freak out, don't freak out."

No comments: